We had our first look at Abbey's hand on Friday at the doctors office. I was holding her in my lap and the doctor began cutting away the cast and uwrapping the bandages. I was fine until....I saw her hand.
I broke out in a cold sweat
I began to feel dizzy
I felt like I was about to throw-up
Me... the medical person here. I've watched and assisted with sutures, bone marrow aspirations, biopsies, etc. AND I'm about to faint at the site of my daughter's hand after surgery.
I really was not prepared to see her hand as bruised and discolored as it was. Not to mention all the dried blood on the bandages. And the sutures.
I took some deep breathes and forced myself to hold it together.
This sweet little hand is not the hand she came to us with. It looks so pitiful right now. I am having a really hard time imagining what it will look like once the swelling and bruising goes away. I know it will be OK... I have seen before and after pics of children who have had this type of surgery for ABS. But right now, I am a momma that just wants to make everything alright for Abbey. I would trade places with her in a milli-second to not have her endure the surgery, casts, stitches, and healing that lie ahead.
But my little Abbey is tough. She barely wimpered when the bandages were removed. She sat still while he wrapped her arm back up... and for those of you who know Abbey...being STILL is not on her agenda these days! Right?
She accidentally got her new bandage wet this afternoon while playing outside. So Mike and I decided to take it off, let her have a 'real' bath in the bathtub, then we re-wrap it back up.
Oh my did she love her bath!! Much better than the baths we had to give her on the bathroom counter next to the sink to keep her cast from getting wet!
She looked at her hand a few times, then looked at me, then back at her hand with a confused look on her face. More like a questioning look I guess. I of course teared up and bit my lip to keep from falling apart. She proceeded to slap BOTH hands on the water for a SPLASH and laughed.
Like I said... my sweet Abbey is tough.
No comments:
Post a Comment